the wisdom, it is flowing like the mighty Amazon
We have a small fluorescent light over the sink in our kitchen, and a few years ago it mysteriously stopped working. We thought the bulb was burned out and replaced it, but the light still wouldn't work. Then at some point a few months after that, I forgot it didn't work and flipped the light switch on, and it was working again. We used it every day right up until a few months ago when it stopped working again. Replaced the bulb, then replaced the whole fixture when the bulb replacement yielded nothing, but it wouldn't work. That was true until the beginning of this week when Francisco forgot it didn't work and turned it on, and lo and behold, light! I have a half-formulated theory that somehow the ladybugs that overwinter in our ceilings are responsible--like maybe they nested in the wrong place and disrupted the electricity or something--but I've got nothing solid to base that theory on. Anyone have a better idea?
Omigad, omigad, the Serenity trailer!! Despite the movie not being released this month as seemed to be the original plan, I'm still quite excited to see it, and only wish I didn't have to wait until September. I'm not a good wait-er.
The office is having a party [so what else is new?!] tomorrow for our 3 student workers, because they are all graduating. One of my coworkers is compiling a "book of life wisdom" for them, and she asked us to contribute. I thought up some wisdom, and I thought I may as well share it with you, my internet friends/acquaintances/strangers:
* Unless you really like cherry cough syrup, do not Ever order an Alabama Slammer. They are groce.
* When making major purchases, pay attention to the law of diminishing returns. You don't always get what you pay for, and if you buy more than you can afford, you will get free stress with purchase.
* You are going to die. Remember this when there's nothing good on tv, so you're tempted to watch a rerun of Married With Children. You could spend your limited time way better than that.
* If you have children, please take advantage of their helplessness as babies to dress them in the funniest outfits possible. The photos of said outfits will give you solace during their teenage years.
* It is unwise to keep poisonous people in your life, even if you're related to them.
* Try to root your feelings of self-worth in your accomplishments and the way you treat others, instead of rooting them in the way you look, because honeys; you are Never going to look better than you do now. Except maybe Zach, who could really use a shave.
* Home decoration is not nearly as hard as interior decorators would have you think. I recommend painting all walls colors other than white, and the rest of the decorating will take off from there.
* For the times when you're really broke, you could do worse than ramen noodles. Just throw away the flavoring packet that comes with them and use some kind of better sauce/flavoring agent, plus add some vegetables, because you don't want to get scurvy.
* When you're tempted to berate yourself for mistakes made/opportunities missed, imagine yourself as someone you really love. Would you say all those mean things to a loved one? Treat yourself as kindly as you treat the people you love, and hopefully that's pretty kindly.
I should have my own talk show, no?
Listen, I need to wrap this up now (started the entry much earlier in the day). What I would like to tell you is we saw Sideways this weekend and I was not impressed. I didn't hate the movie but I didn't really like any of the characters except Maya. I could have liked Miles if he hadn't did what he did right toward the beginning of the movie (I'm trying to avoid spoilers here), but what he did was impossible for me to get past. Also, last night we started Spanglish, and so far I like it. I don't like the mom character, but the others are likeable, and I really love Chloris Leachman, so there you go.
One last thing: My favorite radio station has changed. My second favorite, WXDU has pulled out in front of my previous favorite, Radio Active, which is now in the number two slot. I know how important it is for you to keep up on my favorites, interweb. You are welcome.
design by simplify